ON THE ROOF OF THE WORLD
ON THE ROOF OF THE WORLDA flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa launches the great adventure through Tibet, culminating at the foot of Mount Everest in Rongbuk. After visiting the great monasteries and palaces around Lhasa, we move on to Ralung, a place rarely visited. Our next major stops are Gyantse and Shigatse and finally, Rongbuk Monastery for the unforgettable view of Everest. Tour over, we drive to Kathmandu along the Trisuli gorge.
KATHMANDU TO LHASA & ON TO RONGBUK MONASTERY
The high road between Lhasa and Kathmandu reveals the rich, well preserved Tibetan culture. We come across the pastoral lifestyle on the dry Tibetan Plateau, in the shadow of giant peaks: Everest, Cho Oyu, and Shisha Pangma. In Lhasa or Gyantse, we find great monasteries that speak of the grandeur and preservation of Tibetan Buddhism. We appraise the great masterpieces that have been handed down through the centuries and survived the Cultural Revolution. But we will also visit remote places less frequented by tourists, like Ralung, nestled in the heart of the high plateau where you can feel the immensity of Tibet. There are superb views of Everest from the Rongbuk Monastery and the Everest Base Camp. Then, leaving the high passes and the arid Tibetan plateau, we drive through the deep gorges and go along the Trisuli River to reach the lush vegetation of Nepal. A great trip in the footsteps of Alexandra David-Néel.
- The landscapes of the dry Tibetan plateau, the high altitude Himalayan passes, and the Turquoise Lake.
- The awesome view of Everest from the Rongbuk Monastery
- The high spiritual places of Central Tibet: Potala, Jokhang, and more...
- The steep descent to Nepal from a 5000m pass to the rice terraces, passing through the gorges of the Trisuli River.
For your next trek with us in the Himalayas, travel light and aware: Base Camp offers you a biodegradable soap made in Nepal, to leave no trace ...
- Accommodation: Holy Himalaya or similar on BB basis
- In Kathmandu room on Bed and Breakfast basis.
Catch the early morning hour-long flight to Gonggar Airport that is 60 km from Lhasa. Drive to Lhasa (1 ½ hr).
- Transport: minibus
- Accommodation: Lubhum Tsang Boutique hotel on BB basis or similar
We visit some of the well-known sites of Lhasa: We start with the Potala Palace which was the residence of the Dalai Lama until 1959 when he went into exile. It houses an impressive collection of Buddhist art. Our next stop is the great monastic university of Drepung which once housed more than 7000 monks in a maze of chapels, dormitories, and temples.
We walk just 2 minutes from our hotel to reach the Jokhang Temple in the heart of the old town. Pilgrims arrive here from around the world. Our last visit is to the monastic University of Sera.
- Accommodation: Same as the previous day.
2 minutes-far from our hotel, in the heart of the old town, we visit to the Jokhang Temple where pilgrims come from the confines of the Tibetan world. Visit to the monastic University of Sera
Accommodation: AS PREVIOUS DAY
We hike to the pristine Lake Yamdrok (4,441m), where yaks and sheep are left to graze on the shores. We have our picnic lunch by the lake and then hike up to cross the Karola Pass (5,200 m); we walk near the foot of the Norjin Kangsang glacier. On the way, we visit the forgotten monastery of Ralung after which we spend a few hours walking at ease to take in the vastness of the Tibetan plateau.
- Duration of drive: 6 hr
- Accommodation: Jian Zang Hotel in Gyangtse, BB basis or similar
- Accommodation: Manasarovar Hotel on BB basis or similar
A pleasant day on the road on the Tibetan plateau and includes two passes that go up to more than 5000m in altitude to get to Rongbuk, the famous monastery at the foot of Everest. We get to see more of the Himalayan range from Tingri.
- Duration of drive: 6 hr
- Accommodation: Monastery Guest House
Transfer by private vehicle to a small village 20 km from Rongbuk and by collective electric bus which is mandatory for both ways to and from Rongbuk.
We visit the Rongbuk Monastery and enjoy the amazingly beautiful view of the north side of Everest following the road to Tingri, a typically charming Tibetan village. We then visit the village of Ge Langkhor 10 km away.
- Accommodation: Snow Leopard Hotel on BB basis or similar
We drive along the road to Nepal, one of the highest roads in the world leaving Everest, Cho Oyu, and Shisa Pangma behind. We go north through Lake Pegutso to the border town of Kyirong. We drive through the vertiginous gorges of Trisuli as far as the Sino-Nepalese border. After crossing the border at Rasuwa, we drive another 1 ½ hr along the river to reach Syabrubesi in the Langtang region.
- Duration of drive: 8 hr
- Accommodation: Lodge on half board
Once we are on the road to Kathmandu, the landscape changes to lush green vegetation and soon we come across rice fields and typical Nepali villages. In Kathmandu, we transfer to the hotel.
- Duration of drive: 6 hr
- Accommodation: hotel on BB basis
Free time in the city; transfer to TIA (Kathmandu Airport) for your return flight.
- Nights in hotels in Tibet indicated in the itinerary
- Stay on a BB basis in Tibet
- Transfer Jeep (4X4) from the border
- Agent representative (English guide) for transfer from the border
- Night in lodge at syabrubesi
- An English-speaking Tibetan guide for the whole stay in Tibet
- Visit to the sites and monasteries according to the itinerary
- Entrances fees to the sites, according to the itinerary
- All permits in Tibet according to the itinerary
- Oxygen bottle available
What's not included
- Visa Nepal
- Visa China
- Insurance documents compulsory
- Supplement High season in Tibet
- Drink, Tips other miscellaneous expenses ......